Monday, May 21, 2007

Plainfield pushing the limits on density.

In my following post I will offer my position of the subject but for now...the following is a May 17th quote that was found on my opponents(current 2nd ward councilperson Cory Storch) blog site.

"Transit Village is a concept whose time has come, especially for a densely populated state like New Jersey. It means redirecting development away from our shrinking farmlands and green space and concentrating it where the infrastructure already exists - where the mass transit is, near shopping and jobs. In Plainfield, it means concentrating development around one or more train stations."

The current councilperson and I have two very different strategies on how to revitalize downtown Plainfield. He believes the transit village idea should be implemented in Plainfield. I must respectfully disagree. Let me explain why.

#1-
I appreciate the current councilors concern for green space in our more rural areas in New Jersey but frankly I'm concerned about the lack of green space for the members of my community. What about the additional waste created by these developments and how that impacts our ecosystem?
#2 -
Redirecting development away from our more rural areas of the State to Plainfield where the infrastructure already exist? Yes we have the transit line but our municipal infrastructure also includes: transportation roadways, police and hospitals all of which are operating without the necessary resources to perform effectively already. How many times have you complained about roads or traffic safety this week?
#3 -
Concentrating development around one or more train stations near shopping and jobs. Plainfield's projected job growth rate is a meager 1.4%. I'm just wondering where the current shopping and jobs options exist.
The transit village is a good concept but a bad idea for Plainfield. Do we really want to make the city even more dense?

It all comes down to what kind of city we want to live in. Many of us enjoy to walk through our neighborhoods or taking a drive to Dairy Queen in the evening. But all of us know that our Police are stretched thin when it comes to patrols as it is. Traffic safety is not only an issue going through our intersections but right in front of our house these days. Transit Villages would inevitably result in even more motor vehicles speeding through our neighborhoods and that is why I am surprised my opponent supports the concept. The financial implications to our city are huge considering adding an additional 250 children to our school system would cost a whopping 3.25 million dollars. Can our school system handle this? It's simply a bad idea.

Please come out for the May 30th community forum held downstairs in the public library. Both candidates were offered an invitation. I look forward to being there. I appreciate your support and your vote on June 5th.

This community forum will be held from 7-9pm.
To find out more call 908-472-9421 or at www.tonyrucker.com
You can also e-mail me at www.tony@tonyrucker.com

Next Part III-Downtown Development

No comments: