Thursday, May 31, 2007

PToday. A Cold and Timid Soul.

Hello Plainfield. I'll need a few minutes to address the ignorance and arrogance of the "Minister of Information" -- the famous Dan Damon. You are a talented writer indeed but instead of using that tool to bring people together you spend most of your time trying to tear people down.

- To the Man in the Arena-

It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

--Teddy Roosevelt--

Dan, I really don't what happened in your life for you to become such a pathetic soul. When we met yesterday at the debate you looked real uncomfortable being in such close proximity to someone whose character you had unjustifiably attacked. I will not have my integrity and intelligence questioned by a disgruntled frustrated old man whose biggest contribution to our community is critcizing others. Your recent post not only tries to demean me it also belittles the contributions and comments of Deborah Dowe at the debate. During the debate she exemplified nothing but class and intelligence in my opinion. There are other candidates other than Mr. Storch to be considered here. If you think his record and performance in our community warrants his reelection, vote for him.

The residents of the 2nd ward are entitled to be given a fair representation of all the candidates views. They are tired of yellow journalism. They want results and that's why we have elections to change course and get somebody new into office when they are not satisfied. What are you afraid of? I think all that attended can attest to the fact that all candidates, including your pick Mr. Storch, were insightful and presented themselves well. But to you Tony Rucker was just a babbling idiot and Deborah Dowe was just good for a joke and occasional laugh. Cory could have said he was for building a landfill downtown and he still would have been your pick. So let's cut through the B.S. and ask why is that? Cory is going to have to earn this seat just like the rest of us, based upon his vision and his record. I know he has to be embarrassed by your piece. I hope he publicly comes out and distances himself from your rhetoric. Matter of fact I think that's a good idea, Cory when you read this post issue a statement on your blog condemning this lowering of the bar when it comes to public dialogue. Dan you're one of the reasons people get turned off by the process.

Let's revisit yesterday Dan. After the debate we were talking and I called Cory over to make he knew exactly where I stood on this accusation over his signs disappearing. So all three of us are standing there in a mini-huddle outside the conference room. I turn to you Dan and look you dead in your face then glance toward Cory with my hand on his shoulder and stated man to man I would never dishonor myself by pulling or having someone else pull signs out of someones yard. When Cory turned to you all I heard out of your mouth was a bunch of stammering.

Now let's take a look at your May 31st posting.

First on the Park Hotel. Yes this is Cory's field. Prior to this being an election issue Cory hasn't brought forward any solutions concerning this facility. He said he has been there many times. What suggestion has he ever brought forward for public debate? It doesn't take an expert to suggest something be done about mentally challenged people having to sit on 95 degree pavement in a parking lot. And anyone who has driven by there can see that.

Let's talk about why Cory is a no-brainer pick for council because of his experience on the planning board. Cory is in the very unique position of getting 2 bites at the apple. 1st when he votes as the council's sitting member on the planning board. 2nd when he votes as part of the governing body on the council. With all these development proposals has he once insisted that things like impact fees are part of any deal to ensure that the taxpayers of Plainfield don't get left holding the bag. Or that developers should be required to hire a percentage of Plainfield residents if they are qualified to work on the project. Did you mention that he voted yes to override zoning laws on the books to allow for a variance to place high density housing projects near some of our most treasured neighborhoods?

You were impressed by his insistence that the complete rail corridor needs to be developed. For your information our rail corridor is one of the last bastions of commercially zoned areas in this city. Once we loose it to residential development its gone forever. But the associated costs of that residential housing will be with us until the end of time. Do you know an additional 250 school-aged children costs this city 3.25 Million dollars? Which one of you two are going to pay for that? Siding with developers whose only care is to turn a profit is not what I see as good governance. Slapping the 'in need of development' designation may not be a big deal for you Dan, but for businesses they know that is just another step closer to the words eminent domain.

In your post, when I say something "I'm pitching an idea." When Cory says something he brings a wealth of experience to the table. On my idea of having a technology center downtown excuse me for not bringing the signed agreement with me to the debate last night. I'm currently not the councilperson. I think its a great idea. I've actually worked to create facilities like this while I was a Investment Advisor with Merrill Lynch. This project is something Cory should be a champion for, especially with his 6 years of experience on the school board. So let me get this straight you want me to negotiate with these "possible players" as a private citizen. Wow. What resolutions has Cory sponsored to advance the lives of the children our community during his tenure?

And yes Dan I do understand the budget process thank you. Do you know that the current way our departments determine how much money they have spent is to compare year over year numbers? Do you know that the city has no way of producing real-time line item expenditure costs on a ongoing basis? Because of this it make monitoring fiscal year spending almost impossible.

When it comes to 'outsiders' I made it perfectly clear at the debate that I thought it was a conflict of interest to have Jennifer Wenson-Maier at the position of Director of Economic Development for Plainfield considering he role as President of the Rahway City Council. Nothing personal against her. If you or Mr. Storch think that is a good idea for Plainfield you have the right to that opinion.

Dan, as far Plainfield's historical position of RCA's (the program where Plainfield received a one time allotment for accepting a affordable housing unit from another city)I advise you to know you facts before you run your mouth. As a matter of fact the Assembly just revisited that legislation earlier this year and for the record I will never waste another second responding to you again.

Plainfield. I'm interested in moving our city forward. I know how to get things done and I'm not afraid to speak the truth and confront the obstacles of stupidity, arrogance and ignorance no matter where it comes from. As your councilman you will know where I stand on the issues. As councilman of the 2nd ward you will see me on a regular basis holding town hall meetings to ensure that your concerns are known and understood. If I think something is bad for our city I'll respectfully vote no. That's every councilpersons responsibility. We have a Latin saying in the Marine Corps called "Sempre Fidelis" always faithful. If I am given the privilege to serve as you Councilman whether you live in the Crescent Historic District or Sleepy Hollow I will never forget my first obligation is to represent the concerns and interests of the residents of the 2nd ward. There are many things that are beyond my control but when it comes to effective leadership, I know I can deliver on that.

--Tony Rucker--

No comments: