Sunday, May 13, 2007

On Mother's Day

My grandfather was born in Lugoff, S.C. He often talked about how being born up north kept me from appreciating how blessed I truly was. He always use to tell me that I could be born a thousand times and not end up having a mother like mine. He was beyond right. What a blessing to have something so beautiful in your life. Is there anything on the planet that compares to the smile from your mother? I don't think there is a stronger bond in the world. When I was a boy I remember watching her prepare for church meticulously. She would finish her hair iron my clothes and then tell me to go in her pocketbook and get two dollars for Sunday offering. Every Sunday she would softly suggest to my father that he go with us, all to no avail.

To maintain that level of commitment and consistency for a life-time has to be enormously intimidating. Always doing the right thing and saying the right thing when I'm sure at times she wanted to throw her hands up in disgust. That has never happened and 'till this day my mother has never disappointed me. Not once. So to me setting aside one day is not enough for all the things that she and other mothers like her do, seen and unseen. So to honor her I do my best and I try walk as close to her example as I can. I called this Sunday morning and she was preparing f0r Sunday service along with my father. What a beautiful thing indeed.

No comments: