Saturday, May 19, 2007

"For the People By the People"


An elderly man I recently met on the campaign trail stopped me, looked me in the eye and asked me why I was running. I explained to him that I wanted to focus on economic development and cleaner streets but he didn't want to hear it. He asked me again this time putting his hand on my shoulder "why are you running son" and then smiled and walked away. I had been asked the question many times before but this time it wasn't the same. I'm a people person by nature but the experience was a friendly reminder that if you want to be an elected leader it starts with understanding and promoting the will of the people.

I have always wanted to champion causes for the greater good because it gave me a sense of purpose. People want an effective advocate, someone that represents their interests and not interest of the powers that be. It's a political balancing act-- to compromise without being compromised. The experience is very personal but painfully obvious to the public when that balance becomess out of wack. I want to be the councilor for the 2nd ward because I believe that the people of our city are crying out to be heard again. I want to work toward building a community that celebrates the excellence which is in all of us. Regardless of your address, race, culture, sexual orientation-- we all want the same things out of life. We want a community we can be proud of and the opportunity to make the next day better than the last. Cleary many of our most accomplished citizens are not an active part of our community. I want to change that. If we want to move this city forward we can no longer afford for that talent base to sit idly on the shelf .

A few months ago I went to a Westfield City Council meeting. Their council was discussing the upcoming FY 08' budget. It impressed me, as wealthy as that town is, that city used private citizens as a regular component of local government. The advice and participation of these experts who were all city residents was all done at no additional cost to the city. I have met many who have told me they want to get involved in our city but don't really see how. I want to bring people back into the process who currently may not feel welcomed. I will strive to be known for working hard on the issues that impact the lives of everyday Plainfielders. It's time to put the interest of Plainfield first and not the bank accounts of people who don't even live in this city. I believe I have the passion, the experience and leadership skills that can make a difference we can be proud of.

I hope I get a chance to see that man again so I can listen to what he has to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am on the fence. I like you ideas but I need to know more. I'll to the forum to see more. I like Storch but he really hasn't done anything.