Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Shoe Leather Campaign.



Shoe leather tour.

It's been a long hard road and the campaign is over. I would like to congratulate Cory Storch on his victory. Campaigns are tough and I'm sure his team worked hard to win. I met Cory's son at a polling station and he was really very nice. Victory is sweet so I am happy for Cory and his family.

Now, to my team. Wow. Unbelievable! You guys and gals were incredible. I had some of the most motivated young people this town has to offer. It made me feel a little funny when they called me Mr. Rucker but it was just another thing that made me proud. They worked hard and were given so many compliments about how they presented themselves. Young people are on the rise in Plainfield and we all need to play a part in their success. Plainfield residents I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my ideas with you. More significantly to listen and understand the things you are concerned with. I learned this one door knock at a time. I just want all that I met to know that I listened to their concerns and will champion those concerns no matter the outcome of this election. I love doing that kind of stuff.

Some people have asked me about running in the future. Maybe. One thing is certain, I will continue to fight for the ideas and ideals that the campaign was based on. I will continue to fight to focus on the needs of our young people. I will continue to be an advocate for using technology to improve municipal efficiency. Keeping taxes in check is mandatory. If not, we will continue to lose more long time residents to other cities with lower taxes and better services. This issue really impacts our seniors and upwardly mobile households. More than anything we need an economic development strategy that lifts all boats. Until we address some of the underlying socioeconomic conditions in our community our city can never be what it should be. A place where all have a real opportunity for success.

My dream for Plainfield is one with a downtown education/technology center that would be a hub of economic activity for years to come. This is something that can truly transform Plainfield. One thing we know based on places like Fordham University in the Bronx and Temple in Philly is that people from all demographics travel into urban areas for education. Plainfield is perfectly positioned to take advantage of being surrounded by 7 different municipalities. With Kean University and Rutgers being the closest Universities Plainfield is a sensible location for this kind of platform. Having a large group of professionals along with college students downtown close to the train station can turn our downtown from what it is into a place with lots of energy and excitement. This could be a real magnet for business and investment. I think UCC can also be an important player. We can do this Plainfield! Let's make Plainfield a center of innovation, ideas and education. See you at the next council meeting.


--Tony--

No comments: